Those of us that love red hair have also had to stress about everything that comes with it: keeping it vibrant and shiny, make it the right shade, a believable shade or a bright shade.
Here are all of your red travails unraveled!
1. Find the shade that you like, bring pictures, be prepared to show your stylist not only what you do like, but what you don’t, as well.
2. Wear what you feel comfortable in, especially if you are going to a new stylist. We can tell a lot about you by the way you dress and style your hair. I am not here to judge you, but I am here to give you reasonable advice and to give you a color that you love. If you come in dressed like your mother and want something more you, it can be harder to get there. I may go more subtle or more exaggerated than what you are looking for. This also helps matching to your wardrobe since red can be a major change.
3. Use a shampoo and conditioner specifically for color. You want to hold that color there as long as possible and as vividly as possible. My favorites are Kerastase Chroma Captive and Chroma Riche and Oribe Shampoo and Conditioner for Beautiful Color or Bumble and bumble Hairdresser ‘ s Invisible Oil Shampoo and Conditioner.
4. On that note, wash and especially rinse your hair with cool water. This collapses the cuticle, smooths it, and keeps your color in your hair.
5. Use product! Even if you don’t blow-dry your hair, it is important to protect it. If you do use heat, Bumble and bumble ‘ s Blowout line is awesome, as is Oribe Creme for Style. Whether you blow-dry or not, Kerastase’ Elixir Ultime oils are great, either the Moringa Immortal for strength or The Imperial for color are my favorites. They are light, not heavy at all.
6. Once a month get a deep condition, preferably one with protein because color molecules cling to the protein in your hair and when that is compromised, it has less to cling to and doesn’t stay as brilliant. For take home, Bumble and bumble Mending Conditioner and Kerastase Masque Force Architect are amazing. If you get this done at a salon, my suggestion is the Kerastase Fusio-Dose treatment that can be tailored to your specific needs.